The Paris - Chinese Border
30 November 2007
  A Singing 9 Fruit Tree
The unique legend of the Danielson Famile has existed in my perifery since 1998... So there I was at my TOM Festival campsite, enjoying a respite from the unending barrage of crappy hardcore and punk bands, when this unclassifiable, cacophonous noise/music with bizarre mouse squeak vocals came streaming through the walls of the indoor stage. I was waiting for MxPx or some equivalent, just not ready to exert the energy to process this experimental Danielson novelty. A friend asked me later if I caught the show and I politely said I wasn't into it, which he responded with 'they were hilarious'. Later that year I saw the video for their song 'Rubbernecker' and sort of thought I got it, but that's about the end.

As time passed, this band that I assumed was an experiment gone awry, a one or possibly two album wonder, began receiving press in the most unlikely places, Spin, Village Voice, Pitchfork, etc. They were rising above the small Tooth & Nail records inbred scene and making a mark on the mainstream consciousness. It seems pretty typical for my life that interesting art is being made and musical boundaries are being pushed and it just passes me by as I stay home or stick with what I know. But it appears the filmmaker and the band knew some 'behind the scenes' would/could help people finally get it.

Anyway, I recommend this film if you've ever pondered the question of Christianity and music and art and how they fit together. Or if you've ever pondered building a tree and performing inside of it. Or if you want to join a musical family. Or if you like Sufjan Stevens. It's a great story and a quality doc. And Daniel's voice may grow on you.

Check the website, watch the trailer.
 
Comments:
So, if campers pee on trees in the woods, what does a human... er... inside of a tree pee on?

These are the questions that keep me up at night...
 
they pee on people for revenge...
 
I loved this doc. good for you getting the word out. Danielson is, well, what he is. Which is awesome. Laurie
 
totally agree Laurie. the world would be a duller place without people like him being themselves.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
A small yet significant parcel of cyberspace

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, OR, United States
Archives
September 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / January 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / April 2009 / July 2009 / October 2009 / February 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 / September 2010 / December 2010 / March 2011 / May 2011 / July 2011 / August 2011 / December 2011 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]